We’re pleased to be one of the hosts for the 2011 RDN Green Building Workshops and Open Houses series.
- Are you planning to build or renovate a house?
- Do you know the environmental impacts development can have on your property and surrounding landscape?
- Are you curious about alternative systems that could bring your project closer to producing energy, harvesting rainwater and recycling grey water?
- Would you like to learn about cost-effective ways to reduce your project’s environmental footprint?
Learn about these and other green building practices at a series of free workshops coming up this June across the Regional District of Nanaimo. At these workshops, you will also have the chance to meet with experts from Vancouver Island and find out how the region is becoming a hotbed for innovation, expertise and interest in green building and sustainable living
A number of topics that consistently generate a high level of interest will be the focus of the 2011 workshop series. Speakers will touch on:Site Planning and Design – Practical, on-the-ground ideas that get projects off to the best start while respecting the ecological features and functions that make our region great.
Passive Building Design – Learn how to harness natural processes through passive design strategies that improve building performance and occupant comfort.
Alternative Systems – Find out how alternative building systems can help you tap into renewable resources, generate energy and recycle grey water.
Home Energy Assessment – Learn about home energy assessment and EnerGuide Ratings for new and existing homes, and how anyone can make cost-effective improvements.
Space is limited. Pre-register for workshops to secure a spot. Childminding is provided during workshops free of charge, but pre-registration is required. Call 1-888-828-2069 to register.
Workshops will be held 1pm to 5pm on the following date.
Saturday, June 25th
VIU Deep Bay Marine Field Station – 370 Crome Point Road, Deep Bay, BC (Click for Directions)
- Site Planning and Design presented by David Reid, HB Lanarc – Speaker Bio
- Passive Design of Buildings presented by Peter Meridew, Green Building and Renewable Energy Technology Program of Vancouver Island University – Speaker Bio
- Integrated Water Management presented by Ed Hoeppner, Aquarian Systems – Speaker Bio
- Renewable Energy Solutions presented by John McQuaid, Wizards 4 Envionmental Technologies – Speaker Bio
- Home Energy Assessment for Existing and New Homes presented by City Green Solutions – Speaker Bio
A guided tour of this outstanding venue will be given to the participants after the workshop and will last about 45 minutes.
A free bus service to this venue will be provided to workshop participants.
The schedule is as follows:
11:30am Depart Woodgrove Centre (Bay #2/#8)
11:53am Depart Parksville Civic Centre (bus stop across the street from the centre)
12:00pm Depart Wembley Mall (bus stop at Save-On Foods)
12:14pm Depart Ravensong Aquatic Centre (bus stop in front)
12:44pm Arrive VIU Deep Bay Marine Field Station
Please call Ting Pan, Sustainability Coordinator, at 250-390-6510 to reserve your space.