Vancouver Island University’s Deep Bay Marine Field Station is currently working on a project to articulate a grey whale skeleton and we are looking for volunteers who are comfortable with a paint brush to help hide the repairs made during the articulation. Literally, you will be involved in painting the bones of the grey whale, well, painting the repairs to look like bone really. Please pass on the information below to any artists who you think may be interested in getting involved with the Grey Whale Project.
Paint the bones of the grey whale – literally, we are looking for volunteers to help hide the repairs made to the bones during the articulation before it is suspended at VIU’s Deep Bay Marine Field Station.
Purpose: To hide the repairs made to the bones of the grey whale skeleton before it is suspended.
What you can bring: – enthusiasm for the unusual
– Neatness and accuracy with a paint brush
– Experience in faux painting – the object of doing the painting is to make the repairs look like bone (Joanne can teach you if you don’t know what this means)
– Time around great people and beautiful big bones
– Learn faux painting techniques
– A chance to be involved in this amazing and unusual project
Available Painting Days
– Friday May 1st 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
– Saturday May 2nd 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
– Monday May 11th 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
– Tuesday May 12th 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
– Wednesday May 13th 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
– Work on the skeleton is taking place at Deep Bay Marine Field Station 370 Crome Point Road, Bowser, BC.
– For directions go to www2.viu.ca/deepbay/about/Location.asp
– If you are interested in getting involved in this phase of the project, please contact Joanne Thomson, team leader of painting. (Joanne was lead painter on the Blue Whale Project that now hangs at the Beattie Biodiversity Museum at UBC).
– Let her know your availability & she will schedule a shift for you on one (or more)of the painting days. firstname.lastname@example.org or http://www.joannethomson.com
Joanne and Claire
Public Education Assistant
Deep Bay Marine Field Station
Vancouver Island University
Tel: (250) 740-6609